The 1948 brick block building housed Carroll County’s Unified High School for African-American students until 1955, and then later served as an elementary school until 1976. Later housing County offices and the Carroll Community College Annex, the simple building is historically significant for its cultural beginnings. The $4 million redevelopment now houses Carroll County’s Department of Recreation and Parks, the Board of Elections, the nonprofit Change Inc., and Friends of Robert Moton. The gymnasium has been restored for use by area recreation councils. Following a complete interior demolition, including all finishes, partitions, MEP systems, fixtures and equipment, all fire, building and ADA codes and regulations were brought into compliance, including new full facility fire suppression system. Office administrative and conference room spaces were developed for each using agency in addition to public classroom space, public restrooms and new storage spaces. The renovation included complete window replacement, new elevator and shaft, new entry canopy, new loading dock and truck site access.