Since its founding in 1927, The League has been a leader in meeting the needs of the disabled community in Maryland. The current League facility was originally built and expanded during the 1960’s, and has been continually modified over the years to meet the changing needs of its programming. Over the course of the past two decades, PBA has developed a Master Plan and has provided ongoing design services to meet these changing needs. To accommodate future growth, The League engaged the firm once again to re-evaluate the existing facility and to update the Master Plan for inclusion of programs currently located in offsite leased space.
PBA has recently completed the planning for the massive effort and The League is currently in the process of fundraising for the project. The Master Plan examined several locations for adding to the building. It was recommended that an adjacent parcel of land be purchased for the renovation, and the vehicular and internal circulation be significantly reworked to provide for more efficient operations. The project includes a comprehensive 8,470 SF reconfiguration of former administrative space into program space; relocation of administrative spaces into new 16,000 SF addition; relocation of The SCALE program from 5,000 SF satellite location into the addition; re-cladding and updating of the exterior envelope; and creating a new canopy over a relocated loading/unloading area.