Penza Bailey Architects provided comprehensive systemic modernization and updates for compliance with all building and accessibility codes for Burroughs Elementary School in Washington, D.C. DCPS Ed Spec and K-12 Education Facility guidelines included:
- Replacing all windows and lighting systems and painting interior walls to flood classrooms with natural daylight
- Integrating IT resources into classrooms for online learning
- Integrating sound amplification into classrooms with acoustical enhancements
- New or enhanced finishes, fixtures, furniture and equipment
- Focus on Sustainability and IAQ
The 67,745 SF facility for students with autism includes OT/PT, adaptive PE, and speech resources. Designed for special needs students who interpret visual and auditory stimulus in a way that others do not, details such as blocking sounds from building operating equipment, fine-tuned environmental controls for temperature and humidity, and eliminating humming and flickering associated with fluorescent lighting, are included.